Welcome to the Community Education Building...
This new initiative is a result of the generosity of Bank of America, and is dedicated to offering a world-class public education experience to over 2,000 students in Wilmington, Delaware. The CEB will partner with high performing charter schools and community-based support organizations to achieve its vision of preparing students as citizens of a global village.
Coming Summer 2014
The Community Education Building is pleased to welcome Kuumba Academy and Academia Antonia Alonso as its first tenants into the building this summer. For additional information on the schools please visit their websites at the links found below.
- February 2012 - Bank of America announces donation of the building
- Summer 2012 - Selection process for first cohort of tenant schools
- October 2012 - First cohort of tenants selected
- February 2013 - Bank of America transfers title of the building to the CEB
- Spring 2013 - Facility build-out begins
- Spring 2013 - Selection process for second cohort of tenant schools
- July 2013 - Second cohort of tenants selected
- Spring 2014 - Selection process for third cohort of tenant schools
- June 15, 2014 - School Certificates of Occupancy issued
- July 1, 2014 - Schools access facilities
- July 2014 - Third cohort of tenants selected
- Fall 2014 - Kuumba Academy Charter School and Academia Antonia Alonso open in the CEB
We expect our facilities to be at capacity in 2017/2018 as tenant schools grow their enrollment. The CEB school selection process will be completed once four high performing charter schools have become CEB tenants. This process is expected to cover a 36-month period with the initial cohort chosen in the fall of 2012, a second in the spring of 2013, and a third in the summer of 2014. Thereafter, additional school selection processes will be conducted as needed.